Calling all middle school students!
Share your ideas and show off your citizenship skills in the National Civics Bee.
About the Bee
The Bardstown-Nelson County Chamber of Commerce is partnering with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation to host a first-of-its-kind civics competition that encourages young Americans to engage in civics and contribute to their communities. Participating 6th, 7th and 8th graders will flex their civics knowledge for a chance to win recognition and cash prizes. Finalists will be invited to Washington, DC to compete in the inaugural National Civics Bee national championship in Fall 2024.
How to Enter
If you are a middle school student with an idea about using civics to solve a problem in your community, review the rules and guidelines on the submission form.
Complete the submission form, including contact information for your parent or guardian, and submit your 500-word essay for consideration.
Deadline: Submit your essay by January 8th @ 11:59 p.m.
Click This Link Below for Application Portal
The Bardstown-Nelson County Chamber of Commerce is participating in the National Civics Bee because we believe that informed and active citizens make for a strong country, a strong economy, and a strong workforce, and that our continued prosperity depends on the strength of all three. Through the Bee, we are promoting greater civic knowledge in Kentucky and celebrating our civic pride.
Student and Parent Guide Click Here
Graphic Organizer for Students Click Here
Each finalist will receive a certificate. In addition:
- The First Place Winner will receive a $500 cash prize.
- The Second Place Winner will receive a $250 cash prize.
- The Third Place Winner will receive a $125 cash prize.
- Essay Submission Window Opens: November 13, 2023
- Essay Submission Window Closes: January 8, 2024 @ 11:59 p.m. CST (6 weeks later)
- Notify Local Finalists: No later than January 17, 2024
- Confirm Local Finalists: No later than January 31, 2024 (finalists require at least 10 days to confirm)
- West Central Kentucky Regional Competition: March 23rd, 10:00am - 12:00pm @ Thomas Nelson High School, 150 Generals Blvd, Bardstown, KY 40004
- State Event: TBD -
West Central Kentucky Regional Competition of the National Civics Bee
9 Counties in WCK Region (highlighted in purple): Oldham, Jefferson, Shelby, Bullitt,
Spencer, Anderson, Nelson, Washington, Mercer
Are you interested in showcasing your company's commitment to developing active and engaged citizens? For information about available corporate sponsorships, please contact the chamber at Bardstown@bardstownchamber.com.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Elliott Newland or Lisa Thomas at (502-348-9545).